Dr. James Dunn, MD, Auburn Obstetrics & Gynecology
HomeProvidersPatientsServicesAbout UsForms

Welcome to the practice of James S. Dunn, Jr., M.D.

Here you will find a courteous staff and dedicated health care professionals providing the highest level of care for women with gynecologic and urogynecologic problems. Please note that our practice only treats female patients. This website is designed to acquaint you with the office and our medical practice: our services, policies and procedures. The more you know about the practice, the better we can be of service to you. Our goal is to provide the highest quality medical and surgical care to our patients.

We will strive to bring you the best health care services. One convenient way to do that is by offering you, our patient, this Web site to get to know us better and access health services and information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please take the time to browse this site. If you have questions or require clarification please do not hesitate to ask any of our staff.

Some of the Services Offered

Routine Well-Woman and Problem Gynecologic Care

  • Annual Gynecology Exam
  • Abnormal Pap Smears
  • Menopause Treatment
  • General Gynecology

Specialized Care for Urogynecologic Disorders

  • Bladder Control problems (leakage, overactive bladder, urge incontinence)
  • Fecal Leakage
  • Urinary Tract Infection
  • Chronic Pelvic Pain
  • Prolapse (a dropped uterus, bladder, or rectum
  • Interstitial Cystitis
  • Painful Sexual Intercourse

Frequent Questions

What Kind of Training Does a Urogynecologist Have?
Fellowship-trained urogynecologists have completed medical school, a four-year residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology, and a formal two- or three-year fellowship in Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery. During the fellowship, these physicians undergo rigorous additional training and experience in the evaluation and treatment of conditions that affect the female pelvic organs, and the muscles and connective tissue that support the organs. The fellowship training focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of urinary and fecal incontinence, urinary and pelvic dysfunction, and pelvic support disorders.

When Should I See a Urogynecologist?
It is not a normal part of a woman's aging process to develop uncomfortable, troublesome symptoms of incontinence, prolapse, or pelvic pain. Women need not "learn to live with it." Effective help is usually available through the services of a urogynecologist. Although your primary care physician or gynecologist may have knowledge about these problems, a urogynecologist can offer additional, more sophisticated expertise. You should see a urogynecologist when you have problems of prolapse, incontinence, urinary or pelvic dysfunction, or when your primary doctor recommends consultation. Other problems for which you or your doctor might think about consulting a urogynecologist include: problems with emptying the bladder or rectum, pelvic pain, and the need for special expertise in vaginal surgery.

What Treatment Options are Available from a Urogynecologist?
A urogynecologist can recommend a variety of therapies to cure or relieve symptoms of prolapse, urinary or fecal incontinence, or other pelvic floor dysfunction symptoms. He or she should discuss both nonsurgical or surgical therapy although you will ultimately make decisions based on a number of factors including the severity of your condition and your general health. Nonsurgical options include medications, pelvic exercises (Kegels), behavioral and/or dietary modifications, and devices (e.g., vaginal weights, pessaries, urethral plugs). Biofeedback and electric Stimulation are treatments that are most effective when performed as part of a comprehensive pelvic floor program. Safe and effective surgical procedures are also utilized by the urogynecologist to treat incontinence and prolapse. He or she should discuss all of the options that are available to treat your specific problem(s) before you make treatment decisions.